Associate Curator of American Art
The New-York Historical Society, New York’s oldest museum and the repository of one of the nation’s finest American art collections, seeks an experienced curator to join the curatorial team with a principal focus on American painting and sculpture. He/she will perform all curatorial duties, including: researching and publishing works in the collection under his/her curatorial responsibility; recommending acquisitions to complement the existing collection; proposing future exhibitions and publications; and maintaining positive and fruitful relations with colleagues in the museum and academic communities and with Society trustees and other supporters. The ideal candidate will have a broad background and passionate interest in American art from all periods, creative ideas for interpreting and expanding the museum’s holdings, and a commitment to public outreach.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Organize in-house and traveling exhibitions, including research and label writing
- Research and publish works in the collection
- Prepare acquisition proposals
- Consider requests for loans from other institutions
- Participate in the Society’s education and outreach programs
- Expand and update painting and sculpture entries in collection database
- Work with conservators on setting priorities for treatment of works in the collection
- Respond to correspondence relating to the collection and assist the public and visiting scholars
- Foster and maintain good working relationships with donors, trustees, colleagues from other institutions, dealers, and collectors
- Other related responsibilities
Experience and Skills:
- Minimum three (3) years of curatorial experience, including organizing exhibitions
- A record of scholarly achievement and a track record of original research
- Clear and effective written and oral communication
- Strong computer skills; knowledge of TMS a plus
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues
M.A. in Art History with a specialization in American art required, Ph.D. preferred
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is largely a sedentary role using a computer; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stoop as necessary.
For consideration please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com by February 28, 2017. In the subject line please reference the job title. The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.