Audio Visual Manager
JOB TITLE: Audio Visual Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Audio Visual
The Audio Visual Manager will report to and assist the Director of Audio Visual and help manage technical operations related to audio/visual presentations at the New-York Historical Society. The Audio Visual Manager will also be responsible for supervising technical staff and vendors, and must have strong communications and administration skills. This position may require some evening and weekend hours.
New-York Historical Society, a preeminent educational and research institution, is home to both New York City’s oldest museum and to one of the nation’s most distinguished independent research libraries. N-YHS is dedicated to presenting exhibitions and public programs, and fostering research that reveal the dynamism of history and its influence on the world of today. Founded in 1804, its holdings cover four centuries of American history, and include one of the world’s greatest collections of books, manuscripts, graphic materials, historical artifacts, and American art documenting the history of the United States as seen through the prism of New York.
The audio/visual department is an integral part of daily operations at the New-York Historical Society. Operating our A/V equipment requires strict attention to detail and respect for the environment. From exhibition gear oversight/maintenance to our frequently sold-out public program lecture and movie series, as well as our myriad of private events, the New-York Historical Society’s A/V department bears multiple responsibilities that are often simultaneous.
- Bachelor’s degree in technical field required
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- 3-5 years supervisory experience in a production or presentation venue
- Exhibition, A/V, and corporate events experience preferred
- Knowledge of, and experience with theatrical lighting, audio, rigging, and video equipment and/or consoles
- High critical thinking capacity and fast problem solving ability
- Manage and consistently maintain all audio/visual technical needs at the museum
- Manage the logistics and storage of A/V materials and hardware within the A/V department
- Liaise with internal departments to assess their audio/visual needs, including attending the weekly logistics meeting
- Act as main audio/visual contact for on-site special events and public programs, and supervise load-ins, performances, and load-outs
- Provide direct support for different operation roles, including A1 (lead client audio engineer), A2 (stage and microphone support audio engineer), V1 (video engineer driving PPTs, movies, or slideshows), LD (lighting designer), and other operational roles as necessary. Experience required.
- Be prepared to provide A/V system design input when requested
- Supervise A/V full-time staff, technicians, and vendors as required
- Ensure all part-time and freelance personnel are given proper training
- Supervise exhibition gear and track use/maintenance logs
- Grow freelance roster of qualified A/V technicians
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee with or without accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is a physical job that includes the monitoring, installation, and breakdown of technical equipment. Lifting elements up to 50lbs may be requested. Climbing ladders and using lifts are commonplace in this position.
For consideration please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line please reference the job title.
The New-York Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.