Andrew Jackson (1767-1845)

Object Number: 
1859.6
Date: 
Patented 1855
Medium: 
Patinated zinc
Dimensions: 
Overall: 24 1/8 x 19 1/2 x 6 3/4 in. ( 61.3 x 49.5 x 17.1 cm )
Marks: 
inscribed: at front of base: "CORNELIUS & BAKER/PHILADELPHIA" inscribed: at back of base: "PATENTED/MAY 13, 1855"
Gallery Label: 
This is a small replica of the famous statue in Lafayette Square, opposite the White House in Washington, D.C. The first equestrian statue to be cast in bronze in America, it was heralded as an astonishing feat of artistry and engineering when unveiled in 1853. This reduction was patented in 1855 by the Philadelphia firm of Cornelius & Baker, makers of artistic parlor sculpture.
Bibliography: 
The Historical Magazine (1859), p. 43. "At the Jan. 4 meeting of the New-York Historical Society, O. S. X. Peck, Esq. presented a fine statuette of General Jackson."
Credit Line: 
Gift of Mr. O. S. X. Peck
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group