Apothecary bottles (pair)

Object Number: 
1937.950ab
Date: 
ca. 1836
Medium: 
Glass
Dimensions: 
each: 10 3/4 x 6 1/2 in. ( 27.3 x 16.5 cm )
Description: 
Pair of deep blue and colorless blown lead glass apothecary bottles; blue bottle with wide flanged lip, short cylindrical neck, and spherical body joined to colorless pedestal base with folded-under rim with interior pontil mark.
Gallery Label: 
According to the Nadelmans, who purchased these apothecary jars for their folk art museum, they were made in 1836 for a Dr. Schley [probably Fairfax Schley (1823-1903)] of Frederick, Maryland. The bottles were special-ordered from the glass manufactory in Millville, New Jersey, for the front window of Dr. Schley's newly redecorated drugstore. Dr. Schley was reportedly indignant about the bottles' size as he had ordered large ones.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Provenance: 
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group