Museum and Library Closures

The New-York Historical Society will be closed on September 23, and select spaces will be closed September 24. For details, please visit our calendar.

Argand lamp

Argand lamp
Title
Argand lamp
Date 
1810-1820
Medium 
Sheffield plate
Dimensions 
Overall: 26 1/2 x 14 1/4 x 6 1/2 in. (67.3 x 36.2 x 16.5 cm) Each (shade): 6 x 8 1/2 in. (15.2 x 21.6 cm)
Description 
Cast Sheffield plate Argand lamp; hour-glass shaped pedestal with molded midband ring and cast foliate scrolls applied around the center, a lobed circular foot and a spiral gadrooned rim; seated on a square platform with an applied gadrooned edge and four cast hairy paw feet with foliate scroll knees; pedestal supports a second smaller baluster pedestal with fluting around the lower half and a gadrooned rim; second pedestal supports a cylindrical shaft with molded ring; two cast arms with acanthus decoration applied to the sides of the shaft; two cylindrical tubes applied to the tops of the arms at the lamp ends; cylindrical lamp shafts applied to the arms vertically; globular reservoirs with ball drops, concave shoulders, applied gadrooned rims and circular perforations in the tops, applied to the bases of the lamp shafts; gadrooned rings around the centers of the shafts hung from circular supports at the tops; circular pedestal applied to the top of each shaft which support the burners; baluster pedestal with a cast foliate scroll base applied to the top of the central shaft; large globular body with fluting around the lower half applied to the top; body with concave shoulder, gadrooned rim and applied fluted dome surmounted by a pineapple finial; rewired for gas; no maker's marks; two Baluster-shaped cut and frosted glass shades with outward turned rims, narrow necks, and spherical bodies; necks and bodies with cut flowers and vines.
Credit Line 
Gift of Effie Beekman Borrowe
Object Number 
1938.307b.1-3
Gallery Label 
In the 1780s, Americans learned of a revolutionary new alternative to candlelight and primitive oil lamps. The Argand lamp, patented in London by Swiss chemist François-Pierre Amié Argand in 1784, produced ten to twelve times more light than a single candle and emitted less smoke and odor than simple oil lamps. This handsome lamp is one of a pair probably purchased by John Beekman (1768-1843) and Mary Elizabeth Bedlow (1771-1848) of New York in the 1810s. They were converted to gas lamps during the mid-nineteenth century. Once converted, their location had to be fixed, as the lamps were plugged into gas pipes projecting through the wall.
Provenance 
Probable descent: John Beekman (1768-1843), who married Mary Elizabeth Bedlow (1771-1848); to their daughter Jane Beekman (1805-1876), who married Dr. Jacob Hallett Borrowe (1808-1873); to their son Samuel Borrowe (1837-1896), who married Euphemia Campbell (1839-1928); to their daughter Effie Beekman Borrowe (1863-1951), the donor.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group