In early 2017, our fourth floor will be transformed into a new destination for historical education and innovation. During the current renovation, objects from our permanent collection are on view throughout the Museum.
Panoramic View of New York City (in Eight Sections)
Black ink over graphite on eight sheets of ivory paper with partial black ink borders, laid on Japanese paper
Support the New-York Historical Society
Help us present groundbreaking exhibitions and develop educational programs about our nation's history for more than 200,000 schoolchildren annually.
This shell was found in 1915 by boys digging a trench on the site of Fort Independence. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, Fort Independence was part of a chain of eight American forts north and east of the Harlem River that commanded the northern approaches to Manhattan. The shell was part of a large stash of artillery ammunition that was buried in November, 1776 by the fort's retreating garrison in anticipation of a looming British assault.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024