In early 2017, our fourth floor will be transformed into a new destination for historical education and innovation. During the current renovation, objects from our permanent collection are on view throughout the Museum.
Probably New York mahogany, white pine, yellow poplar, other inlays
Support the New-York Historical Society
Help us present groundbreaking exhibitions and develop educational programs about our nation's history for more than 200,000 schoolchildren annually.
This shell fragment was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse deposit outside the south ramparts of Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street between Fort Washington and Pinehurst Avenues. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until evacuation in 1783. The fragment was part of an artillery shell that was fired at the fort during the battle.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024