Badge of the Society of the Cincinnati

Badge of the Society of the Cincinnati
Title
Badge of the Society of the Cincinnati
Date 
ca. 1802
Medium 
Silk, gold, enamel
Dimensions 
badge (and ribbon): 4 3/4 x 1 1/2 in. (12.1 x 3.8 cm)
Description 
Badge of the Society of Cincinnati consisting of metal clasp with silk ribbon of pale blue with white edges, attached by squared gold bracket to badge in the form of an eagle with outstretched wings and a wreath around his head; obverse has eagle head facing left, and oval plaque at center of eagle with enameled image of Cincinnatus receiving a sword; reverse has eagle head facing right and enameled plaque at center with scene of city and Cincinnatus in foreground; eagle, plaque and portion of wreath decorated with enamels; plaques with Latin inscriptions around perimeter of oval.
Credit Line 
Gift of Mr. Herbert Barber Howe
Object Number 
1927.105
Marks 
written: on reverse of enamel plaque: "SOCIETAS : CINCINNATORUM : INSTITUTA : AD : 1783" written: on obverse of enamel plaque: "OMNIA : RELINQUIT : SERVARE : REMPUBLICAM"
Gallery Label 
The Society of the Cincinnati was formed in 1783 by Major-General Henry Knox and other Revolutionary War officers, including General George Washington, to maintain and perpetuate the personal associations established during the war. The original medal was designed by Major Pierre Charles L'Enfant and the die cut in Paris in 1784. This example, made in New York around 1802, belonged to Major Bezaleel Howe (1750-1825), a Revolutionary War officer and great-grandfather of the donor.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group