Iron bar shot; two large half-circles connected by a rectangular bar.
This bar shot was found at Fort Independence, at 235th Street in the Bronx, New York City. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, Fort Independence was part of a chain of eight American forts that commanded the northern approaches to Manhattan island. Abandoned in November, 1776 in the face of a coming assault, the fort was occupied by British and Hessian troops until 1779. The bar shot, which expanded when fired, was probably abandoned by the retreating troops.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024