Iron bar shot; two half-circles connected by rectangular bar.
According to an attached tag, this bar shot was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until 1783. Bar shot was a form of artillery that was shot from a cannon.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024