Iron bar shot; two large half-circles connected by rectangular bar.
This bar shot was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from the fireplace of a hut in a military camp, at 204th Street between Seaman and Payson Avenues in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The bar shot, which expanded when fired from a cannon, may have been used as a firedog.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024