$10 Museum Admission

As part of our Summer of Hamilton celebration, enjoy $10 Museum Admission now until Labor Day. Offer good for in-person ticket purchases, not available online. This offer may not be combined with other discounts.

Belt clasp

Object Number: 
INV.6168.13
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Brass
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 x 1 1/2 in. ( 2.5 x 3.8 cm )
Description: 
Brass belt clasp; flat base with three lobes at top and three studs on back.
Gallery Label: 
This clasp was excavated in 1894 by William L. Calver at a military camp at 201st Street and Ninth Avenue in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British soldiers who were guarding the landing area for a ferry that crossed the Harlem River from the Bronx to Manhattan.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group