Biscuit barrel

Object Number: 
1941.272ab
Date: 
ca. 1850
Medium: 
Sheffield plate, glass
Dimensions: 
Overall: 6 7/8 x 8 x 5 7/8 in. ( 17.5 x 20.3 x 14.9 cm )
Marks: 
engraved: on the lid: a crowned "B" in gothic script
Description: 
Cast Sheffield plate biscuit barrel with a cut glass liner; oval glass liner with vertical bands of diamonds around the sides and a star on the flat base; oval frame with a cast ring base; applied, cast band of squares around the top of the base; six cast twisted and scrolled supports applied to the base and upper frame ring; upper ring formed from a band of cast squares and a plain, horizontally applied rim; cast, hinged oval lid, flat at the edges with bands of bright-cut foliate engraving; lid, domed in the center with a band of gadrooning around the sides; cast pineapple finial screwed through the center; lid engraved with a crowned "B" in gothic script; two cast, hinged, oval ring handles applied to the sides of the upper ring; no maker's marks.
Gallery Label: 
This biscuit barrel belonged to the donor's father, F. Von Bernuth.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Mrs. Sandford Dwight Foot
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group