Object Number: 
Overall: 10 x 3 1/2 in. ( 25.4 x 8.9 cm )
impressed: on front: "L. BEARD/ 1852"
Salt-glazed stoneware bottle with impressed mark and date.
Gallery Label: 
Luke Beard's beverage company was located in the Howard Atheneum Building on Howard Street in Boston. The company, which later operated under the firm name of Fairbanks and Beard, manufacted draft and bottled cider, ale, porter, soda, and mineral-water throughout the mid-nineteenth century. The firm was owned by "L. BEARD" from 1847 to 1854. A large portion of the buisness consisited of manufacturing "french mineral and soda waters," which was introduced into this country from France, by Mr. Roselle, of Philadelphia. Beard was the first to manufacture and sell that mineral-water flavored with raspberry syrup. All orders for exportation were "put up securely, in the best style, at short notice." This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group