Bottle

Object Number: 
1948.306
Date: 
1865-1880
Medium: 
Glass
Dimensions: 
Overall: 9 1/2 x 4 in. ( 24.1 x 10.2 cm )
Marks: 
embossed: on obverse side; " CONGRESS & EMPIRE SPRING CO./ C/ SARATOGA NY" EMBOSSED: on reverse side; : "CONGRESS WATER"
Description: 
Green, non-lead glass bottle blown in a three part mold with embossed lettering; bottle has cylindrical neck with hand-tooled finish with a down-turned lip and V-shaped string rim, rounded shoulders, and a cylindrical body embossed with a large "C" within an arch formed by the inscription "CONGRESS & EMPIRE SPRING CO./ SARATOGA NY" on the obverse side, "CONGRESS WATER" in an arch on the reverse side.
Gallery Label: 
This bottle was made at the Congressville Glass Works (in operation 1865-1890) for the Congress and Empire Spring Co. of Saratoga, NY. The "C" and "CONGRESS WATER" refer to the Congress Spring in Saratoga, NY, which was a source for bottled water from the early 19th century onward.
Credit Line: 
Bequest of Weber Hill Arkenburgh
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group