Bottle

Bottle
Title
Bottle
Date 
1850-1860
Medium 
Glass
Dimensions 
Overall: 9 1/4 x 4 in. ( 23.5 x 10.2 cm )
Description 
Green, non-lead glass bottle blown in a three-part mold with embossed lettering; bottle has cylindrical neck with hand-tooled finish with down-turned lip and V-shaped string rim, rounded shoulders, and a cylindrical body; embossed on shoulder; "OAK ORCHARD/ ACID SPRINGS" on obverse side, "ADDRESS/ C.W. MERCHANT/ LOCKPORT, NY" on reverse side.
Credit Line 
Gift of Richard L. McCarthy
Object Number 
1956.148b
Marks 
embossed: on shoulder of obverse side; "OAK ORCHARD/ ACID SPRINGS" embossed: on shoulder of reverse side; "ADDRESS/ C.W. MERCHANT/ LOCKPORT, NY"
Gallery Label 
This bottle was made at the Lockport Glass Works in Lockport, NY (in operation 1843-1880s) under the ownership of Francis Hitchins (purchased glassworks in 1850) for the Oak Orchard Mineral Springs Co., (in opperation 1848-1860), which bottled water from at least five different springs near Alabama Center, in Genesee Co., NY. Water from different springs was bottled in different colored bottles. The bottle was found by the donor at the site of the bottling works.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group