Bottle

Object Number: 
1893.5b
Date: 
1770-1790
Medium: 
Glass
Dimensions: 
Overall: 9 3/4 x 3 3/4 in. ( 24.8 x 9.5 cm )
Marks: 
typed: on tag; "RUM BOTTLE/ FOUND IN THE EXCAVATION ON FRONT STREET/ BETWEEN BROAD AND WHITEHALL STREETS./ GIFT OF MR. JOHN D. CRIMMINS, 1893"
Description: 
Olive green, non-lead, blown glass bottle; bottle possibly blown into a dip mold and has cylindrical neck with an applied up-tooled with flattened sides, string rim, rounded shoulders, and a squat, cylindrical body with a push-up and pontil mark; bottle has iridescence over the entire surface.
Gallery Label: 
According to the donor, this bottle was recovered from the hull of a vessel uncovered during excavations on Front Street between Broad and Whitehall Streets for the proposed power house for the cable road in February, 1893. The hull of the ship was possibly used as part of a wharf or dam for landfill.
Credit Line: 
Gift of John D. Crimmins
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group