The Henry Luce III Center for the Study of American Culture will be closed for renovations from August 31, 2014 through December 2016. Please check back in the fall for details of our exciting new galleries and installations.
Museum Collection Highlights
Flags on 57th Street, Winter 1918
Oil on canvas
Support the New-York Historical Society
Help us present groundbreaking exhibitions and develop educational programs about our nation's history for more than 200,000 schoolchildren annually.
Gift of Martin Sheridan and Richard Hayman and the EAR Inn
These artifacts were excavated from the backyard of the historic James Brown house at 326 Spring Street in Greenwich Village, now the home of the Ear Inn restaurant and pub. The building was constructed around 1817 and has since been continuously occupied as a mixed-use building (commercial and residential). Excavations in 2010 in the building's basement, including an area that was likely the site of a privy before the building was extended to cover the entire yard, yielded thousands of artifacts that shed light on the daily life of previous owners and tenants. The bulk of the artifacts date to the mid- to late-nineteenth century.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024