Bottle: Congress & Empire Spring Co.

Object Number: 
1953.420
Date: 
1870-1880
Medium: 
Glass
Dimensions: 
Overall: 9 1/2 x 4 in. ( 24.1 x 10.2 cm )
Marks: 
embossed: on obverse side; "CONGRESS & EMPIRE SPRING CO./ SARATOGA NY" embossed: on reverse side; "EMPIRE WATER"
Description: 
Green, non-lead, glass bottle blown in a three-part mold with embossed lettering; bottle has a cylindrical neck with hand-tooled finish with a downturned lip and V-shaped string rim, rounded shoulders, and a cylindrical body embossed with a large "E" within an arch formed by the inscription CONGRESS & EMPIRE SPRING CO./ SARATOGA NY" on the obverse side, "EMPIRE WATER" in an arch on the reverse.
Gallery Label: 
This bottle represents the pint style that was made by the Congressville Glass Works (in operation 1865-1890) for the Congress & Empire Spring Co., of Saratoga, NY. The "E" and "EMPIRE WATER" refers to the Empire Spring, which was a source for bottled water in Saratoga starting in 1848.This brand was one of the most popular of the Saratoga mineral waters; somewhere between 75,000 and 100,000 bottles sold by the company in 1878, including to many parts of the world (McKearin & Wilson 1978).
Credit Line: 
Gift of Clarence G. Michalis
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group