Bottle stands (pair)
Silver, wood, linen
each overall: 5 1/16 x 2 1/8 in. (12.9 x 5.4 cm)
Silver Weight: 6 oz (troy) 11.8 dwt (205 g)
Silver Weight: 6 oz (troy
Pair of wrought silver bottle stands with turned wooden bases; circular wooden coasters with three double circles inscribed on the tops; wooden bases covered with natural linen; bases set into circular silver rings with applied rope bands; the sides of the coaster are formed from three identical piercework pieces applied to the lower ring; gadrooned bands applied to the waved tops of the sides; the centers of a single piercework piece on each coaster are filled in forming a shield shaped reserve; reserve engraved with the Schuyler family crest, a falcon on fess; maker's marks stamped on the underside of the reserves.
Bequest of Major Philip Schuyler
stamped: on the undersides of the reserves: "Myers" in script conforming
Philip Schuyler (1733-1804), who married Catherine Van Rensselaer (1734-1803); probably to their son Philip Jeremiah (1768-1835), who married (2nd) Mary Anna Sawyer (1781-1852); to their son George Lee Schuyler (1811-1890), who married Eliza Hamilton (1811-1863); to their son Philip Schuyler (1836-1906), the donor.
Hofer, Margaret K. "Seventeenth-and eighteenth-century family silver." The Magazine Antiques 167 (2005): 156-160.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.