Bottle stands (pair)

Not promoted
Title:
Bottle stands (pair)
Bibliography: 
Hofer, Margaret K. "Seventeenth-and eighteenth-century family silver." The Magazine Antiques 167 (2005): 156-160.
4 278
Date: 
1770-1776
Medium: 
Silver, wood, linen
Classification: 
Dimensions: 
each overall: 5 1/16 x 2 1/8 in. (12.9 x 5.4 cm) Silver Weight: 6 oz (troy) 11.8 dwt (205 g) Silver Weight: 6 oz (troy
Date End: 
1 776
Description: 
Pair of wrought silver bottle stands with turned wooden bases; circular wooden coasters with three double circles inscribed on the tops; wooden bases covered with natural linen; bases set into circular silver rings with applied rope bands; the sides of the coaster are formed from three identical piercework pieces applied to the lower ring; gadrooned bands applied to the waved tops of the sides; the centers of a single piercework piece on each coaster are filled in forming a shield shaped reserve; reserve engraved with the Schuyler family crest, a falcon on fess; maker's marks stamped on the underside of the reserves.
Credit Line: 
Bequest of Major Philip Schuyler
Object Number: 
1915.18ab
Gallery Label: 
These intricate bottle stands, intended to hold glass decanters or wine bottles, were used on the dining table of Philip Schuyler (1733-1804), one of the wealthiest landowners in the Hudson Valley. The delicate openwork on the stands was achieved through the demanding technique of piercing, in which files and fretsaws were used to cut away the silver. This highly specialized handwork required extensive training, which was not available in colonial America. Indeed, the skilled saw-piercing was probably executed by an immigrant craftsman employed in Myers's workshop. The fine quality of the pierced work and the stands' close similarity to marked London examples also raises the possibility that Myers could have imported the bottle stands and marked them with his own stamp.
Provenance: 
Philip Schuyler (1733-1804), who married Catherine Van Rensselaer (1734-1803); probably to their son Philip Jeremiah (1768-1835), who married (2nd) Mary Anna Sawyer (1781-1852); to their son George Lee Schuyler (1811-1890), who married Eliza Hamilton (1811-1863); to their son Philip Schuyler (1836-1906), the donor.
Date Begin: 
1770
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group