Bowl excavated at a Revolutionary War military hut

Object Number: 
1947.574a-y
Date: 
1740-1783
Medium: 
Earthenware
Dimensions: 
Overall: 4 1/8 x 8 1/8 in. ( 10.5 x 20.6 cm )
Description: 
Earthenware bowl; red-bodied with brown glaze.
Gallery Label: 
This bowl was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a military hut at 182nd Street between Fort Washington and Bennett Avenues. The hut was built after the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, and was probably occupied by officers of the British and Hessian regiments that garrisoned the fort until evacuation in 1783.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group