Brass object excavated at Revolutionary War barracks

Brass object excavated at Revolutionary War barracks
Title
Brass object excavated at Revolutionary War barracks
Date 
1760-1783
Medium 
Brass
Dimensions 
Overall: 3 3/8 x 3/8 in. ( 8.6 x 1 cm )
Description 
Brass object; flat rectangular strip marked on edge with groups of six or seven small lines at spaced intervals; inscription in center.
Credit Line 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Object Number 
INV.6100.122
Marks 
stamped: (122), on front: "CHARLES HUSSEY SUG..."
Gallery Label 
This object was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. The barracks were built after the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, and were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. The object was found at 181st Street and Broadway, and may be a ruler that belonged to a soldier or a civilian.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group