The Henry Luce III Center for the Study of American Culture will be closed for renovations from August 31, 2014 through December 2016. Please check back in the fall for details of our exciting new galleries and installations.
Museum Collection Highlights
The Bulls and Bears in the Market
Oil on linen
Artist/Maker:William Holbrook Beard
Support the New-York Historical Society
Help us present groundbreaking exhibitions and develop educational programs about our nation's history for more than 200,000 schoolchildren annually.
This brick was found during the reconstruction of Fraunces Tavern, a Colonial tavern on Pearl and Whitehall Streets in lower Manhattan. Originally built in 1719 as a private home, the building was bought in 1762 by Samuel Fraunces, who named his tavern the Queen Charlotte. The tavern was used as a meeting place by the Sons of Liberty, and was given its owner's name at the outbreak of the Revolution. In 1783, George Washington gave a farewell address to his officers in the tavern's Long Room.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024