In early 2017, our fourth floor will be transformed into a new destination for historical education and innovation. During the current renovation, objects from our permanent collection are on view throughout the Museum.
Alexander Hamilton (1757-1804)
Support the New-York Historical Society
Help us present groundbreaking exhibitions and develop educational programs about our nation's history for more than 200,000 schoolchildren annually.
Overall: 2 3/8 x 5 1/2 x 7 3/8 in. ( 6 x 14 x 18.7 cm )
Curb bit; fixed cheeks with slightly bulbous mouthpiece.
This bit was excavated by avocational archaeologists Reginald P. Bolton and William Calver circa 1910 at the site of Fort George, a Revolutionary War fort and encampment located in Washington Heights, Manhattan. The camp was located at what is now Audobon Avenue, between 190th and 194th Streets, and was occupied by British and Hessian troops from 1776 until the end of the war in 1783. The bit was probably used on a horse belonging to an officer or a soldier in a dragoon regiment.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024