British coins (2) excavated at Fort Ticonderoga

Object Number: 
largest: 1 in. ( 2.5 cm )
stamped: (1), face of coin: "S II"; back of coin: "BRITANNIA/1734" (King George II) stamped: (2), face of coin: "GEORGIVS III REX"; back of coin: "BRITANNIA/1775" (King George III)
Copper British coins excavated at Fort Ticonderoga; disks embossed on front with profile busts of King George and on back with a figure of Britannia holding a staff and leaning on a shield; inscribed on both sides.
Gallery Label: 
These coins were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at Fort Ticonderoga, at Lake Champlain in New York. Built by the French in 1755 and called Carillon, the fort was destroyed in 1759 in anticipation of capture by General Amherst. Rebuilt as Ticonderoga, the fort was captured on May 10, 1775 by the Green Mountain Boys under the command of Ethan Allen and Colonel Benedict Arnold. The fort was recaptured in June, 1777 by General Burgoyne's army. Number two is probably a half-penny.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group