British military button excavated at Revolutionary War barracks

Object Number: 
INV.6100.10
Date: 
1770-1783
Medium: 
Pewter
Dimensions: 
Overall: 3/4 in. ( 1.9 cm )
Marks: 
stamped: (10), on front: "17" (17th Regiment)
Description: 
Pewter military button; regiment number on front; roped border design.
Gallery Label: 
This button was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. The barracks were built after the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, and were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. The button was worn on the uniform of a private in the 17th Regiment.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group