$10 Museum Admission

As part of our Summer of Hamilton celebration, enjoy $10 Museum Admission now until Labor Day. Offer good for in-person ticket purchases, not available online. This offer may not be combined with other discounts.

British military button excavated at Revolutionary War barracks

Object Number: 
INV.6100.137
Date: 
1770-1783
Medium: 
Pewter
Dimensions: 
Overall: 7/8 in. ( 2.2 cm )
Marks: 
stamped: (137), on front: "33" (33rd Regiment)
Description: 
Pewter military button; regiment number on front.
Gallery Label: 
This button was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. The barracks were built after the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, and were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. The button was worn on the uniform coat of a British private in the 33rd Regiment.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group