British military buttons (27) excavated at a Revolutionary War camp

Object Number: 
INV.6142.4-30
Date: 
1770-1783
Medium: 
Pewter
Dimensions: 
largest: 1 in. ( 2.5 cm )
Marks: 
stamped: (4-26), on face of button: "57" (57th British Regiment; many of these buttons have roped border designs) stamped: (27), face: "10" (10th British Regiment) stamped: (28), face: "RP" (Royal Provincials; British crown above number) stamped:
Description: 
Pewter military buttons; solid pewter buttons with the number, emblem, or symbol of their regiment on front; many have roped border designs and one has a crown above its regiment number.
Gallery Label: 
These buttons were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee at a sanitary camp that extended east of Broadway, between 196th and Ellwood Streets. The camp was built in the summer of 1779 to quarantine soldiers infected with a fever that was sweeping through the military camps in Washington Heights. The buttons were worn on the uniforms of British privates who were sent to the camp.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group