British military buttons (3) excavated at Fort George

Object Number: 
INV.6195.4-6
Date: 
1790-1815
Medium: 
Pewter
Dimensions: 
largest: 1/2 in. ( 1.3 cm )
Marks: 
stamped: (4), on front: "41" (British 41st Regiment) stamped: (5-6), on front: "41"; on back: "* JENNENS/ * LONDON *"
Description: 
Pewter military buttons; regiment number inscribed in center and enclosed by starburst; two buttons have maker's marks inscribed on back.
Gallery Label: 
These buttons were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at Fort George, a British fort at Niagara-on-the-Lake on the Niagara River in Ontario, Canada. Built in 1795, the fort was captured by American forces on May 27, 1813, and occupied until December. The buttons were worn by privates of the 41st Regiment, which arrived in Canada in 1799, was stationed at Fort George when war began in 1812, and took part in the unsuccessful British siege of Fort Erie in 1814.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group