British military buttons (4) excavated in New York City

British military buttons (4) excavated in New York City
Title
British military buttons (4) excavated in New York City
Date 
1770-1783
Medium 
Pewter
Dimensions 
largest: 7/8 in. ( 2.2 cm )
Description 
Pewter military buttons; regiment number in center on front; roped border design.
Credit Line 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Object Number 
INV.6229.1-4
Marks 
stamped: (1-4), on front: "57" (57th British Regiment)
Gallery Label 
These buttons were excavated in the vicinity of Fort George by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918. Built in 1781, the fort extended between Audobon and Amsterdam Avenues and 192nd and 193rd Streets in Washington Heights. The buttons were worn by privates of the 57th Regiment; three (Nos. 1-3) of the buttons were worn on coats. They were stored as part of the Reginald P. Bolton Collection in the Jumel Mansion.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group