British military buttons (4) excavated at Revolutionary War barracks

British military buttons (4) excavated at Revolutionary War barracks
Title
British military buttons (4) excavated at Revolutionary War barracks
Date 
1770-1783
Medium 
Pewter
Dimensions 
largest: 7/8 in. ( 2.2 cm )
Description 
Pewter military buttons; regiment number on front; roped border design.
Credit Line 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Object Number 
INV.6100.2-5
Marks 
stamped: (2-5), on front: "57" (57th British Regiment)
Gallery Label 
These buttons were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. The barracks were built after the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, and were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. The buttons were worn on the uniforms of privates in the 57th Regiment, which was stationed in New York City from August, 1776 until evacuation.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group