British military buttons (4) excavated at Revolutionary War barracks

Object Number: 
INV.6100.6-9
Date: 
1770-1783
Medium: 
Pewter
Dimensions: 
largest: 7/8 in. ( 2.2 cm )
Marks: 
stamped: (6-9), on front: "44" (44th Regiment)
Description: 
Pewter military buttons; crown above regiment number on front.
Gallery Label: 
These buttons were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. The barracks were built after the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, and were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. The buttons were worn on the uniforms of privates in the 44th Regiment, which garrisoned Washington Heights until its transfer to Canada in 1779.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group