British military cap badge excavated at Fort George

British military cap badge excavated at Fort George
Title
British military cap badge excavated at Fort George
Date 
1790-1800
Medium 
Brass
Dimensions 
Overall: 5 x 6 7/8 in. ( 12.7 x 17.5 cm )
Description 
Brass cap badge; thin plate with flat base and dome-shaped top; at top of plate is an inscription enclosed by a scroll; in center of plate is British royal standard bordered by a circle in the shape of a belt; an inscription is enclosed inside the belt; flanking the standard on the left is a lion wearing a British crown, on the right is a unicorn with a chained collar around its neck; below both the lion and the unicorn are a rose, a thistle, and a shamrock; directly below the standard is an inscription enclosed by a scroll.
Object Number 
INV.6195.34
Marks 
stamped: (34), top of plate: "NEC. ASPERA . TERRENT"; inside belt border: "HONI . SOIT. QUI . MAL . Y . PENSE ."; bottom: "DIEU . ET . MON . DROIT"
Gallery Label 
This cap badge was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at Fort George, a British fort at Niagara-on-the-Lake on the Niagara River in Ontario, Canada. Built in 1795, the fort was captured by American forces on May 27, 1813, and occupied until December. This badge was worn on the cap of a British grenadier private who was part of the garrison at Fort George during the late eighteenth-century. The rose, thistle, and shamrock are symbolic of England, Scotland, and Ireland respectively.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group