British military coat buttons (2) excavated at Fort Washington

Object Number: 
INV.6200.129-130
Date: 
1770-1783
Medium: 
Pewter
Dimensions: 
largest: 3/4 in. ( 1.9 cm )
Marks: 
stamped: (129-30), on front: "38" (38th Regiment)
Description: 
Pewter military coat buttons; British crown above regiment number.
Gallery Label: 
These buttons were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit outside the south ramparts of Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British forces, and was occupied until 1783. The buttons were worn by privates of the 38th Regiment, which garrisoned the fort from December, 1780 until August, 1781.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group