Iron broiler; barrel stave with one end bent to form a hook and other into concentric circles.
This broiler was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others at a military camp on the east side of Broadway at Arden Street in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. Soldiers made the broiler from a barrel stave, and probably used it to cook rations.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024