In early 2017, our fourth floor will be transformed into a new destination for historical education and innovation. During the current renovation, objects from our permanent collection are on view throughout the Museum.
Support the New-York Historical Society
Help us present groundbreaking exhibitions and develop educational programs about our nation's history for more than 200,000 schoolchildren annually.
This object was excavated in the vicinity of Fort George by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918. Built in 1781, the fort extended between Audobon and Amsterdam Avenues and 192nd and 193rd Streets in Washington Heights. The object is possibly a sash guard, and may have belonged to a British or Hessian soldier encamped near the fort.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024