Buckle excavated at Fort Washington

Buckle excavated at Fort Washington
Title
Buckle excavated at Fort Washington
Date 
1760-1783
Medium 
Iron
Dimensions 
Overall: 1 3/4 x 2 1/8 in. ( 4.4 x 5.4 cm )
Description 
Iron buckle; half-circle shaped frame with tongue.
Object Number 
INV.6200.37
Gallery Label 
This buckle was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit outside the south ramparts of Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until 1783.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group