Museum Open

The Museum will be open July 4 for our Independence Day celebration. Join us!

Buckle excavated at Revolutionary War barracks

Object Number: 
INV.6100.152
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Brass, iron
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1/8 x 1 3/8 in. ( 0.3 x 3.5 cm )
Description: 
Brass buckle; rounded, rectangular frame with fragment of iron chape.
Gallery Label: 
This buckle was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. The barracks were built after the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, and were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. The buckle was probably worn on the breeches of a British, Hessian, or Loyalist soldier.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group