Buckle fragments (5) excavated at Fort Washington

Object Number: 
largest: 1 1/2 x 2 1/2 in. ( 3.8 x 6.4 cm )
Brass buckle fragments; two have rectangular frames and decorations; one has a circular frame with crimped edges; two others have circular frames.
Gallery Label: 
These buckles were excavated on July 16, 1922 by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit outside the south ramparts of Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until 1783. Numbers 46-9 were probably worn on the shoes of British or Hessian officers.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group