Museum Open

The Museum will be open July 4 for our Independence Day celebration. Join us!

Button

Object Number: 
INV.6100.427
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Gilt, bone
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 in. ( 2.5 cm )
Description: 
Gilt and bone button; thin gilt face over bone back.
Gallery Label: 
This button was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the barracks were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. The button may have been worn by a civilian or an officer.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group