Museum Closure

The New-York Historical Society will close at 3pm on November 26 and remain closed through November 27. For details, please visit our calendar.

Button

Button
Title
Button
Date 
1760-1783
Medium 
Pewter
Dimensions 
Overall: 5/8 in. ( 1.6 cm )
Description 
Pewter button; floral design on front.
Credit Line 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Object Number 
INV.6318.227
Gallery Label 
These buttons were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at the British and Hessian camp on Laurel Hill at Fort George, in Washington Heights. They were housed for many years as part of the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection of Revolutionary War Relics in the Jumel Mansion, on 160th Street and Edgecomb Ave. The buttons were not stamped with regiment numbers, indicating that they belonged to Hessians. The Erb-Prinz Regiment camped at the site from at least July, 1778 until 1781.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group