Special Summer Offerings

Now through Labor Day enjoy an exciting array of family programs and admission discounts for museum-goers of all ages!

Button

Object Number: 
2003.97.34
Date: 
1960-1980
Medium: 
Metal, paper, mylar
Dimensions: 
Diameter: 1 in. (2.5 cm)
Description: 
Circular pin-back button; white peace symbol on black ground This peace sign, a combination of the semaphore signals for the letters “N” and “D” was designed in 1958 for the British nuclear disarmament movement. Buttons with this symbol where first imported into the United States in 1960 and by the end of the decade it had become the generic international peace sign.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Irwin Silver
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group