In early 2017, our fourth floor will be transformed into a new destination for historical education and innovation. During the current renovation, objects from our permanent collection are on view throughout the Museum.
Front View of St. Peter's Church with the intended steeple
Support the New-York Historical Society
Help us present groundbreaking exhibitions and develop educational programs about our nation's history for more than 200,000 schoolchildren annually.
Overall: 35 x 1 x 4 1/4 in. (88.9 x 2.5 x 10.8 cm)
Franklin Delano Roosevelt campaign cane.
The pewter handle of this 1932 campaign cane has "Franklin D. Roosevelt" printed on one side and "For President" on the other. It belongs to a tradition of mass-produced campaign canes made for supporters, extending back to 1868, when canes were first made for Grant and Seymour. When FDR saw the canes being handed out he was furious, as he thought they could be construed as a comment on his polio-related disabilities. He ordered the canes to be destroyed. In 1976, as part of the bicentennial celebrations, Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford both had aluminum canes made on the model of the pewter FDR cane.
Gift of Lou and Barbara Grumet
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024