Cann

Cann
Title
Cann
Date 
ca. 1750-1765
Medium 
Silver
Dimensions 
Overall: 5 1/4 x 3 3/4 x 5 3/8 in. ( 13.3 x 9.5 x 13.7 cm ) Silver Weight: 13 oz (troy) 12 dwt (423 g)
Description 
Wrought silver cann; baluster-shaped body on a circular molded foot; plain, molded band applied around the rim; double-scroll handle with a scrolled acanthus leaf thumbpiece, lower terminus joins to a c-scroll joint; engraved on the front center, "M" in an oval reserve within a garland of wheat sheaves; maker's mark stamped on the base.
Credit Line 
Gift of George C. McWhorter
Object Number 
1895.12
Marks 
Inscription: engraved at center front "M" in script surrounded by scalloped oval frame and mantling of wheat husks Maker's mark: stamped on base: "Myers" in script, conforming
Gallery Label 
This cann belonged to Presbyterian minister and patriot Rev. Alexander McWhorter (1734-1807) who is remembered primarily as George Washington's chaplain. It is one of at least twenty-eight canns manufactured by Myer Myers known today. This cann was the first piece of domestic silver acquired by the New-York Historical Society.
Provenance 
Alexander McWhorter (1734-1807), who married Mary Cumming (ca. 1737-1807); to their son Alexander Cumming McWhorter (1771-1808), who married Phoebe Bruen (1771-1834); to their son George Hugh McWhorter (1795-1862), who married Margaret J. Lawrence (1797-1878); to their son George Cumming McWhorter (1822-1902), the donor.
Bibliography 
Hofer, Margaret K. "Seventeenth-and eighteenth-century family silver." The Magazine Antiques 167 (2005): 156-160.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group