Cannon worm

Object Number: 
1947.593
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Iron
Dimensions: 
Overall: 10 x 4 1/4 in. ( 25.4 x 10.8 cm )
Description: 
Iron cannon worm; corkscrew top attached to hollow, cone-shaped base; base has two holes.
Gallery Label: 
This cannon worm was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the barracks were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. The worm was used to clean the inside of a cannon's barrel.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group