each overall: 4 1/2 x 3 x 4 3/8 in. ( 11.4 x 7.6 x 11.1 cm )
Pair of wrought silver canns; baluster-shaped bodies on a circular molded feet; plain, molded bands applied around the rims; cast, s-scroll handles with plain thumbpieces, rat-tail lower terminuses; engraved on the front centers with the Bancker family crest, two expanded wings; maker's marks stamped on the bases.
Gift of Mrs. Waldron Phoenix Belknap, Sr.; The Waldron Phoenix Belknap, Jr. Collection
Inscription: crest attributed to Bancker family engraved at center-front of both canns.
Maker's mark: stamped in relief on bottom of both canns: "B R" conjoined in oval surround.
Unknown prior to acquisition before 1948 by dealer Robert Ensko, New York City; by sale to Waldron Phoenix Belknap, Jr. (1899-1949), in 1948; inherited by his mother, Mrs. Waldron Phoenix Belknap, Sr. (1874-1959), the donor.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.