Canteen

Canteen
Title
Canteen
Date 
1760-1783
Medium 
Iron
Dimensions 
Overall: 7 7/8 x 5 7/8 in. ( 20 x 14.9 cm )
Description 
Iron canteen; curved and kidney-shaped with cylindrical mouthpiece and two circular loops for carrying strap on each side.
Object Number 
INV.5608.3
Gallery Label 
This canteen was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a military camp on the east side of Broadway at Arden Street in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The canteen was probably carried by a British, Hessian, or Loyalist soldier.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group