Object Number: 
ca. 1730
Overall: 5 1/2 x 2 1/2 in. ( 14 x 6.4 cm ) Silver Weight: 6 oz (troy) (187 g)
engraved: center panel of body: "B/ M * S" in block letters stamped: left of engraving: "AP" in a heart in roman letters
Wrought silver caster; octagonal, baluster-shaped body on an applied, cast, octagonal splayed foot; plain applied band at the contraflexure; molded band applied around the rim; high, octagonal, domed cover with applied, cast flange; above flange, panels of pierced geometric shapes; applied, cast octagonal disk on the top of cover with an applied finial above; engraved, "B/ M * S" center panel of the body; maker's mark left of the inscription.
Gallery Label: 
Refined dining tables in eighteenth-century New York were equipped with sets of three silver casters: a large one for dispensing sugar and two smaller flanking casters for black and cayenne pepper. Measuring less than six inches high, this relatively small example was probably intended for dispensing pepper. Like most New York casters, it adheres closely to English prototypes. The caster descended in the family of Malcolm Sands Wilson, but its original owners are unknown. The engraved initials "B / M * S" may refer to a member of the Bayard family, distantly related to Wilson through his great-grandfather, Samuel Bayard Malcolm Sands (1799-1832).
Credit Line: 
Bequest of Malcom Sands Wilson
Descent unknown; acquired by Malcolm Sands Wilson (1884-1961), the donor.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group