Chapeau (bicorne)

Object Number: 
ca. 1840
Beaver, silk, metal
Overall: 12 3/4 x 20 x 5 1/4 in. ( 32.4 x 50.8 x 13.3 cm )
Black beaver chapeau with rigid crown and tall cock and fan (the fan slightly taller than the cock); two bands of wide black ribbon extend diagonally from base of cock (front), with a black cloth-covered button at point between them; elaborate cockade consisting of a multi-layered black silk rosette with gilded metal eagle at center; padded black cloth sweatband and black satin lining.
Gallery Label: 
According to the accession records, this chapeau was worn by William H. Jackson (1810-1893), father of the donor. Jackson was commissioned Surgeon of the 252nd Regiment of Infantry, New York, on May 23, 1840. His dress coat, sword, and other accessories are also in the N-YHS Collection.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Miss Margaret A. Jackson
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group